Starting from a ‘one horse’ local roofing company in 1906, the Sherriff-Goslin Roofing Company has grown to 26 Branch Offices spread throughout Michigan, Ohio and Indiana.
In 1913, under the ownership of Fred Sherriff, the company purchased a small ad in the Battle Creek Enquirer from a Mr. Bert Goslin. Within a month, Mr. Goslin was offered a one-third interest in the company for $3,500.00. This was a verbal agreement, no note and no interest. Tar and gravel was the only type of roofing the company was doing at that time. Mr. Goslin introduced house roofing and the business grew by leaps and bounds. Sales in 1913 were $35,912.44.
The first branch in the expansion program was in Saginaw in 1918. Then four more were opened in 1920: Jackson, Grand Rapids, Bay City and Lansing. Every two or three years a new branch would emerge, reaching the present total of 26.
Also by 1920, patented re-roofing shingles, called Art-Loc, improved the quality and design of standard shingles, adding another boost to an already thriving business.
[ Learn More ]